[Pythonmac-SIG] [Matplotlib-users] What is the recommended way of Installing MPL 0.9.8 on Leopard?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 10 00:11:58 CEST 2008

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> On 9 Jun, 2008, at 13:19, Charlie Moad wrote:
>> Ok, so let's probe the distutils list and ask them to add support for
>> fat binaries.  You would think they could inspect the CFLAGS or
>> library output with the "file" command to see if the build is
>> outputting fat binaries.
>
> Why not investigate yourself?  Distutils already supports fat binaries
> when building using a python.org build.  The python build that Apple
> ships did have some issues and those should be easy to fix, and to be
> honest I can't recall if they are already fixed.
>
> Automaticly detecting which architectures are present in a binary would
> be harder, distutils determines the platform architecture before
> building the extensions and not afterwards.

I don't think the issue here is building -- I think the eggs that are
built do work -- the issue here is easy_install knowing what to look
for, and being able to find that, in the case of a Universal build.

It seems when you run "easy_install matplotlib", fro man intel machine
-- it goes and looks for a i386 binary, and when you run it from a PPC,
it looks for a ppc binary -- and in neither case does it find the
Universal one. So we need to either:

1) Know it is a Universal build of Python, and thus look for, and finid,
a Universal binary.

2) Or accept a Universal binary when it is looking for either an Intle
of PPC version.

I like the first option better, but have no idea how all this works.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov