[Pythonmac-SIG] A few more py2appissues/questions

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Sun Jun 29 18:25:25 CEST 2008

Hi all,

A couple of addenda:

> (1) It appears that modules included via the py2app 'includes'
> option do not have their full dependencies added. I included a
> handful of modules from my main package via the setup.py script:
>
>    setup_kws['options'] = {'py2app':{'includes':['mypackage.util',
> 'mypackage.other']}}
>
> These modules do get included, but *none* of their dependencies do,
> even though there are clear 'import' statements in each. I checked
> out the dependency graph as output by the --graph option, and sure
> enough, no dependencies other than 'os' (which is not imported by
> the modules) are shown. Is this by design? I tried tracing through
> the modulegraph code to check, but it doesn't seem that this is the
> desired outcome.

I tried *directly* importing these modules from the main script that I
pass to the 'app' setup option, and still nothing! Sometimes there's
not a single entry in the dependency graph for a module that is
explicitly imported from the app script. This is confusing! What
circumstances could cause modulegraph to fail so utterly?

> (2) It appears that any packages that I include via the py2app
> 'packages' option are copied verbatim from the *source*, not *build*
> directory. E.g. my top-level package is called 'mypackage', and I
> want to force all of it to be included in the py2app bundle, so I do
> the following in the top-level setup.py file:
>    setup_kws['options'] = {'py2app':{'includes':['mypackage.util',
> 'mypackage.other']}}

Sorry, copy-paste error. I meant:
    setup_kws['options'] = {'py2app':{'packages':['mypackage']}}