[Pythonmac-SIG] distutils.errors.DistutilsFileError: file '/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.5.egg/pkg_resources.pyc' does not exist

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Mar 27 09:43:15 CET 2008

On 27 Mar, 2008, at 9:29, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> So, in the end, Nathan was right. The following helped me:
>>
>> sys.path.insert(0, '../Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip')
>> # for Twisted
>> sys.path.insert(0, '../Resources/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload') # for
>> PyQt4
>
> That might help you, but leaves the bug in py2app. Phrased
> differently: this is a nice short-term hack, but it would be better
> py2app were changed to not require this hack. I'd really appreciate
> is some else could have a look at this, otherwise the issue will
> stay around until I get around fixing it which might take a while
> (especially because the bug for some reason doesn't affect me).

Are you by any change using the '--site-packages' option of py2app? If
so, you run into a (mis-)feature of setuptools: the easy_install.pth
file in site-packages contains an nasty hack that ensures that easy-
installed software is placed as early as possible on sys.path.

You could try running without it, --site-packages shouldn't be
necessary for a self-contained application bundle. In the longer run
it would be nice to change the code that --site-packages injects into
the .app bundle work around this "feature" of setuptools.

Ronald