[Pythonmac-SIG] Import AppKit (pyobjc) and Cocoa-Python Debug Error

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Mar 28 12:29:50 CET 2008

On Friday, March 28, 2008, at 12:02PM, "Dongpyo Hong" <dhong at gist.ac.kr> wrote:
>I installed the python-2.5.2 dmg from pythong.org and yes it
>installed /Library/Frameworks/...
>And I copied it to /System/Library/Frameworks/.. (I removed /
>System/... at first, and copied /Library/...)
>
>Hmm... reinstall? which one? XCode or Leopard ?

You'll have to reinstall at least part of Leopard, Python is used by the system (earlier versions used Python in the PDF workflow, on OSX 10.5 server some components are written in Python, ...).

As a general rule you should never replace components of the OS in the /System tree (and likewise for the unixy bits in /usr), that part of the system is "owned" by Apple and does not contain user-serviceable parts.

>By the way, why I cannot import AppKit and other stuffs? It is because
>of the deletion?

Yes, the AppKit and other bits are not part of the normal Python distribution, but are addons.

Ronald