[Pythonmac-SIG] [Image-SIG] Please test PIL package on OS-X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat May 3 01:14:18 CEST 2008

Karsten Hiddemann wrote:
> Here is my experience with it on a Mac OS X 10.5.2 system:

Thanks for trying it:

> - clicked on the SimplePILTest thing. Nothing happens. Is it broken?

oops, sorry, I didn't tell you what to do with it!

Drag and drop a *.jpg on it -- it should make a copy with "Watermark"
printed in top, in the upper left hand corner.

You can also open the "Console" app, and it should give you a bit of output.

Sorry, I didn't want to complicate the test with a gui toolkit.

> - I try to start it via Terminal:
>
> $ ./SimplePILTest.app/Contents/MacOS/python

I don't expect that to work.

>  So I download the Python 2.5.2 build from python.org and install
> that. After this, the PIL package installs fine.

Yes, this installer is built for the python.org build, not the Apple one
-- we could do that to, but I don't have 10.5, so I can't do it.

> - Now I try to run the script by hand:
>
> $ python SimplePILTest.py SafetyGirl1-small.jpg

> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py",
> line 205, in truetype
>     return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
>   File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py",
> line 121, in __init__
>     self.font = _imagingft.getfont(file, size, index, encoding)
> IOError: cannot open resource
>
> - It needs the font file, which isn't in there. So I do:

Correct -- arrg! sorry about this, the font is bundled with the *.app,
but I didn't give you it.

> $ cd SimplePILTest.app/Contents/Resources/
> $ python SimplePILTest.py ../../../SafetyGirl1-small.jpg
> #Processing: ../../../SafetyGirl1-small.jpg
> It is a JPEG, (461, 615), RGB image
> writing out a version with some text on it:
>
> - It works, it actually produced a watermarked image! Wait, that means
> that I should have just dropped the image on the App? (tries) Yes, that
> works, too. Maybe I should have tested that before installing Python
> 2.5.2 and PIL and the other frameworks to test the standalone version.

That would have been nice.

> So, to sum it up: It does work, very nice work. But you should have
> described a little better what one is supposed to do to test it. ;)

Yes, I should have -- sorry. Thank you for being so persistent!

> What I dislike: There's no way to uninstall these thing again right now.

Blame Apple for that -- these are standard Apple packages.

Anyway, I think you can simply remove them by hand. You need to delete:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
(if you don't want to keep using it)

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL
(if you only want to remove PIL)

/Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework/
/Library/Frameworks/FreeType.framework/

If you do remove all those, would you mind testing the .app again, just
to make sure?

Thanks for testing.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov