[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and bdist_mpkg on Linux?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue May 13 15:22:13 CEST 2008

On 13 May, 2008, at 1:15, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get py2app and bdst_mpkg to work in Gentoo GNU/Linux
> at the
> moment, and I wondered, if you could provide some information.
>
> The problems I'm stumbling upon are:
> * plistlib isn't avaible in my Python. It can be downloaded from
> SVn, though:
> ->
> http://svn.python.org/view/*checkout*/python/trunk/Lib/plistlib.py?rev=60173

plistlib is a mac-specific library, it will be added to the general
stdlib in python 2.6.

> * Carbon.File isn't avaible in my Python either.

That's mac specific and will stay that way.

> I'd be very thankful for help in getting it to work (and I'll try to
> contribute the findings at least into Gentoo, so other Gentoo users
> can use
> py2app and bdist_mpkg, too).

I don't understand why you want that. You do know that both provide
mac-specific functionality?

bdist_mpkg cannot work on platforms other than OSX because it uses a
utility from Apple to build that BOM (kind of an index) for the
package, that tool is only available on OSX and the fileformat of the
BOM is not documented.

Ronald