[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing Tkinter with 2.3.5/10.2

Wed May 21 05:00:26 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am a new member of the list and I joined because I am having trouble
installing Tkinter with 2.3.5 on OS X 10.2.8.  I have Jack's MacPython 2.3.5
installed and I downloaded and installed TclTk Aqua 8.4.6 today.  But when I
run the MacPython Package Manager, it displays an HTTP 404 error for the URL
of the repository (some subdirectory of www.python.org/packman).  In fact, I
get a 404 error in my browser for that parent directory too, so it appears
that all of the support for this Package Manager app is gone (??).  I
searched the wiki and mailing list and could discover no other repositories
nor any recent information on alternatives.

I am trying to develop a cross-platform GUI for an existing program written
in Python.  My machines run 10.2 and 9.1.  It's a shame that this program
requires Python 2.3 which has no Tkinter support on OS 9 or I would just use
MacPython-OS9 2.2.  I would also just upgrade my 10.2 machine to a newer
Python but all of the 2.4 and 2.5 binary distributions appear to require
10.3.  Is this correct?

So I am wondering what my options are now for cross-platform GUI development
with Python on 10.2?  Can I get Tkinter installed somehow?  Would wxPython
work better?  I am hoping for a solution that will be reliable and easily
installed on Windows, Linux, and OS X.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Anthony Kozar
mailing-lists-1001 AT anthonykozar DOT net
http://anthonykozar.net/