[Pythonmac-SIG] which directory for site-packages

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Nov 15 23:15:54 CET 2008

On 15-Nov-08, at 1:15 PM, Hunt Culver wrote:

> Then from within python I printed all the the sys.paths and
> sys.prefix.  I tried to create a site-packages sub directory in
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
> python2.5 , but python doesn't seem to find it automatically.

This suggests you're actually not using the MacPython you installed.
The Python.org build installs everything into /Library. /System/
Library contains the Python that ships with OS X.

To summarize: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework are two different Python installations.
You seem to be running the latter while attempting to run the former.

David