[Pythonmac-SIG] Modifying table cell content with python-appscript

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Nov 25 20:13:11 CET 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 22:46, Sven A. Schmidt wrote:

>> OK. Can you also try the same commands in AppleScript to check if
>> it works there or not. Something like:
>>
>> tell app "System Events"
>> 	tell process "Hourglass"
>> 		set value of text field 1 of row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 3 ¬
>> 			of splitter group 1 of window "Untitled"  to "<string>"
>> 		return value of text field 1 of row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 3 ¬
>> 			of splitter group 1 of window "Untitled"
>> 	end
>> end
>
> Same behavior as with appscript:
>
> "unnamed customer"
>
> If I focus the field manually (make it editable) and run the script
> it changes the string and returns "<string>". If I then click
> outside the cell and make it non-editable again the value returns to
> "unnamed customer". This is consistent with its behavior in my
> appscript. I must be missing something very obvious or is it just
> not possible in this way to modify table view cells in this way?
>
> Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it a lot!

No problem. I'm afraid I still don't have an answer for you, but at
least that rules out appscript as a possible cause. If you want to
email me a copy of your app off-list I'll be happy to run some tests
against it to see if I can come up with anything. Another thing you
could do is post your question along (using the above AppleScript) on
the appscript-users mailing list - you're bound to find some folks
there with more GUI Scripting experience than me, and they might have
some ideas as well.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net