[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello World Cross Platform Problems

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:26:06 CEST 2008

Hi PythonMac List,

I'm new to python and wxPython/wxWidgets and this whole development
environment, and I'm having some trouble I hope you all can help
with.

I'm trying to get a Hello World application in wxWidgets as a
stand-alone app running on multiple machines via py2app. The second
machine is OS X 10.4 PPC with the system python of 2.3. Python 2.5.2
is installed via fink but I don't think that the double-clickable
app access that version.

My dev machine is OS X 10.5 Intel. I've built python 2.6 as a
framework. I used " --enable-universalsdk" and
"--enable-framework=/opt/python/2.6/Framework" to configure.

I built wxWidgets with "--enable-universal_binary" and
"--with-macosx-version-min=10.4". I built wxPython with "python2.6
setup.py build_ext BUILD_GLCANVAS=0 --inplace --debug"

When I run py2applet I get a .app that runs on the local machine but
not on the 10.4/PPC/Python2.3 machine. I've tried skipping py2applet
and running "python setup.py py2app" and I get the same results.

It appears the .app continues to look for python versions that exist
only on the dev machine. I see people have posted about this in the
past on this list and the advice is "don't use Apple python, build
your own from python.org" and I have done that, but still have this
issue.

> hello.app mankoff$ ./Contents/MacOS/python
dyld: Library not loaded:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
   Referenced from:
/Users/mankoff/Desktop/hello.app/./Contents/MacOS/python
   Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
> $

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

   -k.

P.S. The wxPython docs state that Fink users will require X11. Build
your own if you want Aqua widgets. After having issues (above) with
roll-your-own I decided to try fink (fink install py2app-py24), to
see if it would work even in X11. It did not work on the 10.4
machine either, but it did work on the development machine in *Aqua*
not X11.