[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello World Cross Platform Problems

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 21:54:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Christopher Barker wrote:
> Ken Mankoff wrote:
>> I've cleaned out everything and will skip wxWidgets for now. I
>> have the following python script. Is this the type of little app
>> you refer to?
>>
>> #!/opt/python/2.5.2/bin/python
>>
>> def main():
>>   print 'Hello World'
>>
>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>>   main()
>
> yup -- that should print to the "Console" app when it is run from
> the GUI.
>
> however, that #! line is pointing to the macports (or fink?)
> install of python -- I"d keep this all native Mac unless you have
> a good reason not to.

This is not fink or macports but my python.org install that I just
built from scratch with the following commands:

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/python/2.5.2 --enable-universalsdk --enable-framework=/opt/python/2.5.2/Framework
$ make; make install

$ export PATH=/opt/python/2.5.2/bin:$PATH
$ export PATH=/opt/python/2.5.2/Framework/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin:$PATH
# Second export because easy_install is not in bin but in Framework/bin

$ curl -O http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
# make sure "python" and "easy_install" are from /opt/python/2.5.2/...
# Yes they are (thanks to PATH statements above)
$ python ez_setup.py -U setuptools
$ easy_install -U py2app

>> could you test that (easy_install macholib==dev)?
>
> I'd make sure you're using all FrameWork Python (the install from
> python.org) first, then, if you still get the error, update
> macholib as above.

As far as I can tell I'm using python.org framework. I'd love to
test macholib but right now that easy_install command gives the
following error. I'll tray later and see if the server is up and
post results back here.

svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.eby-sarna.com': Connection refused

   -k.