[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello World Cross Platform Problems

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 6 22:35:08 CEST 2008

Ken Mankoff wrote:
> This is not fink or macports but my python.org install that I just built

got it -- the "opt" confused me.

Why compile yourself?

Why not put in the standard place? (/Library/Frameworks...)

Though it doesn't look that's you problem at this point anyway.

> svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.eby-sarna.com': Connection refused

was that with the py2app install, or the macholib upgrade that you got
that error?

As it happens. I've just wiped and re-installed my system (10.4.11,
PPC), so I"m re-installing all this myself from scratch.

I just got:

easy_install py2app

To work fine, but trying to build an app that used to work:

stripping libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib
stripping array.so
/usr/bin/strip: for architecture i386 object:
/Users/cbarker/HAZMAT/SmallTools/UnitConversion/trunk/dist/Converter.app/Contents/MacOS/Converter
malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD
command 10 can't byte swap it)
/usr/bin/strip: for architecture i386 object:
/Users/cbarker/HAZMAT/SmallTools/UnitConversion/trunk/dist/Converter.app/Contents/MacOS/python
malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD
command 11 can't byte swap it)
stripping saved 10885168 bytes (63796692 / 74681860)

which was an issue that was discussed on this list a while back, but I
don't see the resolution.

running it with no-strip:

python setup.py py2app --no-strip

now works. I wonder what the deal is with strippping?

That's with macholib 1.1. I then ran:

$ easy_install -U macholib==dev

which installed macholib 1.2.1.dev-r23

I still get the stripping error (on array.so), though now that I test --
it looks like the app stll works fine, so maybe only that one lib didn't
get stripped. With stripping, it's 39 MB, and 44MB without.

As for your error:

svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.eby-sarna.com': Connection refused

it should only use svn if you ask for a dev version, but who knows?
Anyway, are you sure your firewall allows svn:? many block it, and yu
may not have notices, as many SVN sites use http instead of teh svn:
protocol.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov