[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello World Cross Platform Problems

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 22:46:21 CEST 2008

OK I got the "Hello World" developed on 10.5 intel working on 10.4
PPC.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Christopher Barker wrote:
> Why compile yourself? Why not put in the standard place?
> (/Library/Frameworks...)

Stubborn unixy-ness and a desire to keep things clean and separate
so I can easily clean it out when bugs (like this) pop up and
upgrade and use different versions and replicate on other machines
etc.

>> svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.eby-sarna.com': Connection refused
>
> was that with the py2app install, or the macholib upgrade that you got that
> error?

That was from "easy_install macholib==dev"

But you are correct it was a firewall issue. It worked when I used a
different network. I then ran "py2applet hello.py" (not even using
py2app and setup.py directly) and it built the .app without
complaining. Well, there is an awful lot of output, so I might have
missed a complaint, but I think it built it fine. I moved it to a
different machine, double-clicked, and it printed "hello world" to
the Console.

So I now have Python and py2app working. I'll build and add
wxWidgets code and see if it continues to work.

In summary, the macholib that ships with Python (or is it py2app?)
seems to have a bug that you identified in a previous email and
fetching the latest dev version (via easy_install) solves it.

Thanks for your help. I am pretty sure I'll be back for more.

    -k.