[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie questions about Mac APIs in Python

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Tue Oct 14 23:58:19 CEST 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Some simple things "just work", also in command line tools. These
> are usually the CoreFoundation things that are pretty passive
> objects (CFDictionaries and such).
>
> Some things work fine in a command line tool, as long as you make
> your command line tool have a run loop by allocating an NSRunLoop...
>
> Some things will contact the window server

OK, I'm fine with (and used to, from other environments) those sorts
of limitations.  So in Python, how would you go about accessing those
things?  Just import objc and make the same calls you would in a real
PyObjC app?

Though I've written a couple of toy PyObjC apps on my own by now, I'm
still struggling to really understand what I'm doing and how it all
works.  I don't suppose anyone has an example of some Cocoa call that
should work in any Python app on the Mac?

Thanks,
- Joe