[Pythonmac-SIG] easy_install broken on new macbook (includes solution)

Amos Latteier amos at latteier.com
Mon Oct 20 02:08:37 CEST 2008

> I dunno about the bug, but simple_json is not what you should be
> installing... The package name is simplejson.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I updated my bug report.

However, this doesn't resolve the problem. In fact I ran into the
problem originally using zc.buildout, building PIL and pycurl. I
picked easy_install and simplejson and a simpler way to reproduce the
bug.

One more thing: my fix assumes that 10.5.1 is compatible with 10.5 for
the purposes of python packages. I think that this is the case, but
I'm not positive. Also the fact that they've changed pkg_resources to
use 10.5.1 implies to me that perhaps there will be a 10.5.2 or
something like that. I'm not sure what version of the OS this would
represent (since these numbers don't seem to correspond to normal OS
identifiers) or whether it should be considered compatible.

Anyway I hope that this information may be helpful to others.

-Amos