[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE that doesn't look awful?

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Tue Oct 21 07:25:35 CEST 2008

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Robin Dunn wrote:
>> Given that I'm Mr. wxPython I'm sometimes a bit embarrassed to admit
>> that I've been using WingIDE more and more lately (transitioning from
>> Emacs) instead of one of the wx-based editors.  Almost every day I
>> cuss at it for being so butt ugly on Mac and not being native, but I
>> still keep on using it because I haven't yet found anything that comes
>> close to beating it on features and functionality.  The auto-complete
>> is very thorough and useful,
>
> I don't remember auto-completion being on your list of features for a
> "pry-emacs-from-my-hands" list...

I had no idea what I was missing until I spent a little time with it.
The static and on the fly code analysis that Wing does is really
powerful.  I can make a change in one file and then even without saving
it I can be working in another file and be able to see the names I just
added show up in the appropriate auto-complete lists.

> It would be nice though -- Rob, any plans to add that to Peppy?
>
>> the debugger is excellent,
>
> Have you tried winPDB? It has some layout issues on the Mac, but it's
> worked for me.

I've used it before, but it's been a while.  It's good, but Wing can do
lots more.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman