[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE that doesn't look awful?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Wed Oct 22 17:13:36 CEST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Brendan Simons wrote:

> I'll offer a counter opinion to say that I quite like Komodo.

I appreciate the input.  However, I have to admit a bias towards an
IDE actually written in Python, for several reasons.

> If you can live with just text highlighting and the ability to run
> scripts from the editor, I like textwrangler.

I do like TextWrangler too, and it's certainly better than nothing.
But it's not what I would consider an IDE.

FYI, I've been most impressed so far with Editra.  It's still a little
green (it took me a while to figure out how to run a script, for
example, and some of the cursor movement in the editor isn't quite
right yet), but it's got great code completion and pop-up method
signatures, and a very flexible plug-in architecture that I think is
going to serve it well as it grows.  The author has been very
responsive and helpful, too, and cares about Mac users -- for example,
it's available as a prepackaged app with a nice high-res icon and so on.

It's a wxPython app and the author is open to contributions, so I will
probably roll up my sleeves and see what I can do to help it along.

Best,
- Joe