[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE that doesn't look awful?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 22 20:57:47 CEST 2008

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Joe Strout wrote:
>> FYI, I've been most impressed so far with Editra.
>
> I'll need to take a look again and see why I rejected it in favor of
> Peppy -- I honestly don't remember.

OK, I've taken a look again:

First, it really is nicely put together, polished and packaged well
(particularly on the Mac) -- it even offered to download an updated
version for me -- very nice.

Here are my issues, relating to the list I sent earlier about Peppy:

It does support multiple top-level windows, and but I can't seem to view
the same file in two different Windows -- that is really a nice feature.
  I can open the same file in two windows, but the editor seems to treat
them as independent -- when I make a change i one, it doesn't show up in
the other, though when I save it, the other triggers a "the fie has
changed on disk, do you want me to re-load it" dialog.

I can't figure out how working with different types of files work -
-when I open a python file, it is doing python-specific things, but how
do I set that? I see the Settings->Lexers menu, but type-specific
behavior goes beyond syntax highlighting. Also, I loaded a *.txt file,
and somehow got fortran lexing -- that's a bit odd. Switching to
plain-text fixed that.

Here is my thing about modes -- I see under Preferences->Document->Code
that I can set things like Code folding,  Auto-completion, etc. However,
what if I want those to be different for different languages? That
doesn't appear to be supported. How about using tabs to indent one
language, and spaces another?

And spell checking -- that would be nice. I think Rob implemented it in
such a way for Peppy that it could be plugged in to any wxSTC-based editor.

one other issue: I get an almost constant stream of:

Oct 22 10:56:54 christopher-barkers-power-mac-g5
/Applications/Editra.app/Contents/MacOS/Editra: CGContextRestoreGState:
invalid context

errors in Console -- this happens with Peppy too, so it's probably a
wxSTC error, but I thought you should know.

I suppose I should really move this to the pyXide list.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov