[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating Installer for my py2app-generated bundle

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Oct 23 03:18:16 CEST 2008

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Paul McNett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've successfully created my application bundle (a wxPython-based
>> application) using py2app and now I want to create an installer inside
>> a compressed dmg.
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding examples of how to do this. I've tried
>> running bdist_mpkg which seems to result in a nearly empty package. Am
>> I on the right track?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Paul
>
> Unless there's a specific reason, an installer is seldom the right way
> to go on the Mac. Apps are supposed to be standalone and installable via
> drag-and-drop. The DMG is fine, but if the app is self-contained, don't
> worry about the installer.

It's a commercial app and the lawyers have stated that the users need to
agree to the license terms with every install or upgrade. It seems to me
having the user walk through the (now ubiquitous - I think 80% of apps
I've installed recently come with a installer) Installer.app steps is
the most comfortable way to accomplish this.

But... you are right. The drag-drop of the bundle is working just fine
and I guess I could have them agree to the license every time they run
the app. ;)

On Windows I use py2exe and INNOSetup to produce a single-file
installer. The lawyers love the result. The app can look for updates
online, download, and run the new installer. I'd just like it to be as
similar an experience as possible on Mac.

Paul