[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating Installer for my py2app-generated bundle

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Oct 23 03:29:58 CEST 2008

Paul McNett wrote:
> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> Paul McNett wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've successfully created my application bundle (a wxPython-based
>>> application) using py2app and now I want to create an installer
>>> inside a compressed dmg.
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble finding examples of how to do this. I've tried
>>> running bdist_mpkg which seems to result in a nearly empty package.
>>> Am I on the right track?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Paul
>>
>> Unless there's a specific reason, an installer is seldom the right way
>> to go on the Mac. Apps are supposed to be standalone and installable
>> via drag-and-drop. The DMG is fine, but if the app is self-contained,
>> don't worry about the installer.
>
> It's a commercial app and the lawyers have stated that the users need to
> agree to the license terms with every install or upgrade. It seems to me
> having the user walk through the (now ubiquitous - I think 80% of apps
> I've installed recently come with a installer) Installer.app steps is
> the most comfortable way to accomplish this.
>
> But... you are right. The drag-drop of the bundle is working just fine
> and I guess I could have them agree to the license every time they run
> the app. ;)
>
> On Windows I use py2exe and INNOSetup to produce a single-file
> installer. The lawyers love the result. The app can look for updates
> online, download, and run the new installer. I'd just like it to be as
> similar an experience as possible on Mac.
>
> Paul

You can add a license file to the DMG that appears when the DMG is
launched. There's a bit of hacking/black magic involved in this;
buildDMG from ObjectPArk (http://www.objectpark.org/buildDMG.html) is a
Perl script that automates the process. Commercial tools like DropDMG
can also handle it. (http://c-command.com/dropdmg/), and I think DropDMG
has a command-line component.

--
Kevin Walzer