[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.6 on mac seems to break compatibility

Mark Bestley {bymail{ignore} at bestley.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 13:22:39 CEST 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:04:32 +0100, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Mark Bestley wrote:
>> I have run a few packages using setup into macports.
>
> I'm confused - you mean using macport libs with the non-macport
> framework build?
>
>> The macports python is now a framework
>
> does macport support Universal binaries?
>
>> and will install to
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5 so I think
>> that setup.py does work I have installed ipython and appscript and my
>> small use of it seems to work
>
> Right, this is the all-macport option, which seems to generally work
> better.

yes I messed that email up.

The full macports option is to use all python libraries from macports ie
portd like py25-pil to get Python Imaging and not use setup.py directly

What I am now doing is using the macports python interpreter and then
adding some libraries to it by using python setup install (and
easy_install).  This now could work for python 2.6

Whet I have tried in the past is adding some libraries like sip that
needed the build script changing but I never fully tested and reverted
back to pure macports.

Macports I think is single architecture by default - at least from what I
have
$ file /opt/local/bin/python2.5
/opt/local/bin/python2.5: Mach-O executable i386

However there is a +universal variant which should be on all builds so you
could get Universal binaries however not all ports work. A quote from the
macports user mailing list

MacPorts internally uses the method described in "Configuring for
universal binaries" to build universal ports. Some software can't be built
universal using those steps. In that case, someone (e.g. the port
maintainer, you, another volunteer) must figure out why and how to fix it.
Maybe a file (e.g. configure script, Makefile, libtool) can be patched in
some way to pass the correct parameters along. In other cases, the build
must be repeated once for each architecture and the result glued together
with the lipo program. See the openssl and cairo ports for examples of
this. MacPorts has no support for this mechanism built in, so ports that
need this mechanism get rather convoluted.

Sorry for any confusion

--
Mark