[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app doesn't work with virtualenv on Leopard

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 31 19:15:44 CET 2008

Gary Bernhardt wrote:
> I can't seem to get py2app to build an app in a virtualenv on Leopard.
>  I find
> it hard to believe that py2app doesn't work with virtualenv,

Why? it was written before virtualenv existed, and I don't know that
anyone has tested it with before -- I"d like to be able to do it,
though, so thanks for trying!

>     raise ValueError('%r does not exist' % (pathname,))
> ValueError: '/Users/grb/py2app-test/env/bin/../lib/libpython2.5.dylib'
> does not exist

It looks like py2app is looking for the main python lib inside your
virtualenv location, when it should be looking in the main python location.

I don't know how py2app decides where to look, but it looks like it's
expecting it to be somewhere relative to the bin directory. You may be
able to fake it out by putting a bunch of extra symlinks in your virtual
env, but clearly, py2app should figure out where to look in a different
place.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov