[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app: how to force packages into application bundle?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 17 07:56:09 CEST 2008

weddingmusic at partybombe.de wrote:
> searching the web i figured out that this is a problem of subversion 1.5 and setuptools.
>
> at least i could fix this by checkout current setuptools-dev manually:

AARRGG! I really wish they would hurry up and get a release out with
that fix!!

Joe Losco wrote:
> However I should note that there are risks using the development
> versions of the packages because there are going to be bugs

well, yes, but there are bugs in the release version too. None of these
modules are under heavy development, so the "dev" version is really the
bug-fixed version.

>> is it correct to set PYTHONPATH to
>> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5" in
>> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist ?

no -- it's not! PYTHONPATH is for telling python where to look for
packages -- not telling the system where to look for python.

> I'm not quite sure whether i should remove the old packages when installing new ones?

you don't need to -- and you can access the old eggs if you want --
though I'm having trouble figuring out how!

> running python setup.py py2app returns some new error now:
> setup(
>     app=['test.py'],
>     options=dict(
>         py2app=dict(
>             packages=['mechanize'],
>             site_packages=True,
>         ),
>     ),
> )
>
> and my source code test.py:
>
> import mechanize

with that import statement, you shouldn't need to specify the mechanize
package -- that's what modulegraph and all that is for!

I don't think that's you problem though...

One thing to do is test your py2app setup with a simple program that
doesn't use mechanize, to see if that package is the problem.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax