[Pythonmac-SIG] Virtual Serial/USB Port

Kevin Horton khorton01 at rogers.com
Sat Apr 11 22:59:53 CEST 2009

On 11 Apr 2009, at 13:38, Stuart Davenport wrote:

> I am trying to write a python program to "emulate" a USB GPS device
> on my Mac, is there anyway this is possible via Python?
>
> Basically I have something running over the network to tell my Mac
> its GPS location. The application I have running is listening to the
> data from the network and then I want that data be pushed onto a
> "virtual" USB GPS device. The data I will send out of it will be the
> standard NMEA data for any navigation software on a Mac (e.g.
> RouteBuddy) to read.
>
> Would anyone know how to create this "virtual port" through python?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want to achieve, but it
might be worth looking at the python code in the gpsd package of
programs.  One of those programs, possibly gpsfake, may either do what
you want, or at least give some good ideas.

http://gpsd.berlios.de/
http://gpsd.berlios.de/gpsfake.html

--
Kevin Horton