[Pythonmac-SIG] App distribution with eggs

Scot Brew sbrew at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 18:34:34 CEST 2009

elizapi wrote:

> What do you mean by "site-packages"  I've never had to actually create an
> application for distribution before, we've always just run the code, so
> this is all new to me, but I need MySQLdb...
>
> I did the uncompression, but I don't know where to put it I guess, because
> running the first step (python setup.py py2app -A) creates the executable
> file, but when I try to run I get a lovely popup message that gives an
> ImportError

The "site-packages" directory is the standard one provided by python.  One
way to find out exactly where a module (in this case MySQLdb) is located,
import the module and then print the variable __file__ for that module.
Here is an example of the calls, performed on an OSX machine:

Mac:~ user$ python
Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
>>> import MySQLdb
>>> MySQLdb.__file__
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/MySQLdb/__init__.pyc'

In this case, the egg file/directory for MySQLdb is