[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) Brendan.Simon at eTRIX.com.au
Wed Aug 5 13:20:37 CEST 2009

> Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] py2app creating semi_standalone instead of
> standalone app
> From:
> Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban at fiee.net>
> Date:
> Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:37:51 +0200
> To:
> pythonmac-sig at python.org
>
> To:
> pythonmac-sig at python.org
>

> Am 2009-08-05 um 04:35 schrieb Brendan Simon (eTRIX):
>
>> Maybe it has something to do with this statement in the py2app website.
>>
>>    If the --semi-standalone option is used (forced if a vendor Python
>>    is being used), then the not_stdlib_filter will be automatically
>>    added to ensure that the Python standard library is not included.
>>

>> My python is 2.5.4 from Python.org.  My freind's python is python 2.5.1
>> (standard on Leopard from Apple).
>> I presume my friends python is "a vendor Python" and thus
>> semi-standalone is being forced.
>
> exactly
>
>> Still not sure what the correct fix is :(
>
> If you want to create a standalone app, you must install a standard
> python (and the necessary modules), as you can't distribute Apple's.

Really ?!?   I think you may be serious !!!  If it's true it is close to
unbelievable.  Isn't python "free" as a general rule ???
This is a stinky thing that MS would do !!!

The "copyright" statement doesn't mention anything about Apple.  Nor if
i type "license()"

    k9m:src brendan$ /usr/bin/python
    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Feb  6 2009, 19:02:12)
    >>> copyright
    Copyright (c) 2001-2007 Python Software Foundation.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright (c) 2000 BeOpen.com.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright (c) 1995-2001 Corporation for National Research Initiatives.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright (c) 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam.
    All Rights Reserved.

Anyway, I guess if it is true, then the easy work around is to install
an updated python from python.org :)

Cheers, Brendan.