[Pythonmac-SIG] run python script on another computer's terminal (LAN)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Aug 11 22:41:03 CEST 2009

In article
<50697b2c0908111235j42440662ic7cdffa611f96175 at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Rebert <pythonmac at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM, pedro<pedrooconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, does anyone know how to send a command that is within a python
> > script to another computer's terminal. This is what it looks like in
> > Applescript.
> > tell application "Terminal" of machine
> > "eppc://USERNAME:PASSWORD@COMPUTER2.local"
> >                                do script "ls"
> >                        end tell
> What is "eppc://"? I can't seem to find anything on it.

"eppc:" is the protocol-identifier for Remote Apple Events, i.e.
executing AppleScripts on remote machines.  (That's what that Sharing
system preference is for.)

You want to install and use appscript.  Something like this should work:

>>> from appscript import *
>>> term=app("Terminal",url="eppc://USERNAME:PASSWORD@COMPUTER2.local")
>>> term.do_script("ls")

http://appscript.sourceforge.net/py-appscript/doc/appscript-manual/07_app