[Pythonmac-SIG] Can I set an environment variable with py2app?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Aug 29 00:16:19 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I was using the Peppy editor, and it's spell checker relies on
PyEnchant, which uses ctypes to use the enchant lib. I am using a
macports enchant, so I had an environment variable set so that PyEnchant
could find it:

export PYENCHANT_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib/libenchant.dylib

This worked just great when I started Peppy from the command line, but
when I started it from an application bundle, it failed, which I'm
pretty sure is because apps started in bundles don't have the shell's
environment variables.

I think there is a way to set a "global" environment variable in a plist
somewhere, but I think it might be better to set it in the App bundle --
is there a way to do that?

For the moment, I've hacked the enchant module to look in the macports
location, but I don't know if the maintainer will want to make that a
permanent change. If he does, what would be the path to a fink enchant
lib? we might as well add that too!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov