[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello.

Nathan nathan.stocks at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 08:26:54 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Lawrence
Anderson<morrisbrown94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>       My name is Lawrence and Im an undergraduate at Indiana State
> University. I always grew up loving technology and computers so I decided to
> pursue my degree in Information Technology. Im taking my first Programming
> class ever. My goals are to own various web successful web businesses and to
> be a proficient web developer. I just purchased a Macbook Pro for the school
> year and plan on building a PC for next semester. Im getting the hang of
> this Mac but it is still fairly new to me. My class is to begin programming
> in Python, but our teacher doesn't speak very good english so she wasn't
> able to convey her point very well to the rest of the class. I find that
> this may be a problem later down the road, so I took the liberty of finding
> out how to open Python on my Mac. I got to the terminal through the utility
> folder and I also downloaded Aquamacs Emacs as a code editor. Im a diligent
> worker so I love to get through obstacles, but Im not afraid to ask
> questions as they come up. In technology the computer is the one who works
> alone, not the people. Any starting help would be appreciated.
>
>        Thank you,
>
>               Lawrence

Welcome!  :-)

If you just want a mailing list to discuss python on, I highly suggest
subscribing to Python's general mailing list[1] if you haven't
already.  This list tends to be both low-volume and focused on
mac-specific issues for Python -- so unless you're interested in
pyobjc, py2app, etc., I would guess you won't get much response from
this list.

Nevertheless, my suggestion for beginners would be:

1) Go through the emacs tutorial if you haven't already (C-h t).
Also, give vim a try -- it's good to know both of the editors that are
omnipresent on *nix systems.

2) Go through some python tutorials.

Good luck!

~ Nathan