[Pythonmac-SIG] Can't build PIL on Snow Leopard

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 7 20:21:28 CET 2009

Xiao Yu wrote:
> There is no problem at all when I use Apple Python with pretty much
> everything. Except when I have to distribute it with py2app. A separate
> Python is essential for me. I could use MacPort or Fink ...

> I need but I can't seem to compile any libraries for this Python. They
> all end with a similar error.

what else have you tried to compile other than PIL?

Anyway, to compile PIL, you need its dependencies -- you can use
macports or fink to build *jsut the dependencies*, and still use the
Apple or python.org python.

> I'm not sure what I'm missing. It gives
> the same error when I try to egg this too.

If the egg is a source egg, then it will try to build, so it's almost
exactly the same as downloading and building by hand.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov