[Pythonmac-SIG] Bundlebuilder--why remove it?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Dec 9 14:08:33 CET 2009

After spending some time getting bundlebuilder to work with my 64-bit
programs, I have begun to wonder: what's the rationale for removing it
from Python 3.X?

Its Carbon dependencies can be eliminated by simply removing the "import
argvemulator" statement, so (as far as I can see) there is no serious
technical impediment to leaving it in the Python library. Bundlbuilder
doesn't really argvemulation anyway, since hooks for this exist in all
the major GUI libraries (Tk, wxPython, and certainly PyObjC).

And while bundlebuilder is a less robust tool than py2app, it is
nonetheless capable enough: I'm shipping two commercial applications
that make use of it. In fact, its simplicity (a single module) make it
easier to dig into and patch, something I can't do with py2app. I
wouldn't have been able to release my applications without it.

What's the best way to keep bundlebuilder available for Python 3.x?
Submit a feature request at the bug tracker? Or separate it out, and
submit a PyPi project?

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer