[Pythonmac-SIG] Bundlebuilder--why remove it?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Dec 9 22:17:37 CET 2009

On 9 Dec, 2009, at 14:08, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> After spending some time getting bundlebuilder to work with my 64-bit programs, I have begun to wonder: what's the rationale for removing it from Python 3.X?
>
> Its Carbon dependencies can be eliminated by simply removing the "import argvemulator" statement, so (as far as I can see) there is no serious technical impediment to leaving it in the Python library. Bundlbuilder doesn't really argvemulation anyway, since hooks for this exist in all the major GUI libraries (Tk, wxPython, and certainly PyObjC).
>
> And while bundlebuilder is a less robust tool than py2app, it is nonetheless capable enough: I'm shipping two commercial applications that make use of it. In fact, its simplicity (a single module) make it easier to dig into and patch, something I can't do with py2app. I wouldn't have been able to release my applications without it.

Py2app's code isn't that bad, although it does seem to be more complex than needed. Refactoring is hard though due to a complete lack of automated tests.

> What's the best way to keep bundlebuilder available for Python 3.x? Submit a feature request at the bug tracker? Or separate it out, and submit a PyPi project?

Separating it out would be better. I'm not interested in re-adding bundlebuilder.

What really should be done is restart py2app development, starting with automated tests and improved egg support. I'd love to work on that but basicly don't have time for that at the moment.

Ronald