[Pythonmac-SIG] [newbie] install PyObjc under EPD Python ?

Joost Rekveld lists at lumen.nu
Sat Dec 19 12:22:58 CET 2009

Hi Ned,

thanks for the reply.
The problem with MacPorts is that it installs everything around its own Python25, which is again in a different place and I don't know how to persuade it to install PyObjc where I want it.

Independently I found this page:

and when I add this to my PythonPath:

it all seems to work: at least it seems now that I can import objc, AppKit, QTKit
tonight i'll be able to see whether it really works.

This workaround seems a bit dodgy to me, but it works ?

If anybody has a better suggestion, i'd be very curious..

On  19 Dec, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <438D4269-AE6A-42A7-B104-0FED6CE77EB5 at lumen.nu>,
> Joost Rekveld <lists at lumen.nu> wrote:
>> thanks for your reply. Yes, I read that you don't have to do anything for the
>> apple-supplied Pythons, but what if I want to keep using my EPD Python ?
>> If not, i'll have to install everything else in order to be able to use
>> PyObjc. If it is the only way, I'd consider it, but I'd find it strange ?
>> how can I install PyObjc for a non-apple-supplied Python ?
> Sorry, I have no experience with the the Enthought distribution.  You
> might ask over on the EPD-Users mailing list.  Depending on how that
> Python 2.5.4 was built and whether it has been patched to support
> building extensions on 10.6, you may need to use a different version of
> gcc (typically, export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0) and/or add -arch i386 flags.
> Python 2.5 is rather old and only receives critical security bug fixes
> these days from the Python development team.
> PyObjC is also available as a MacPorts port if you care to use a
> complete MacPorts solution:
>    sudo port install py25-pyobjc-cocoa
> or sudo port install py26-pyobjc-cocoa.
> --
> Ned Deily,
> nad at acm.org

                       	      Joost Rekveld
-----------    http://www.lumen.nu/rekveld

“This alone I ask you, O reader, that when you peruse the
account of these marvels that you do not set up for yourself
as a standard human intellectual pride, but rather the great
size and vastness of earth and sky; and, comparing with
that Infinity these slender shadows in which miserably and
anxiously we are enveloped, you will easily know that I have
related nothing which is beyond belief.”
(Girolamo Cardano)