[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app/PyQt/64-bit/Mach-O

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Dec 28 23:47:06 CET 2009

On 12/28/09 12:39 PM, Marc-Antoine Parent wrote:
>> It's just Tkinter--I have a four-way build (32/64 bit for PPC and Intel) of Tcl/Tk.
> Hmmm.... I tried adding Tkinter to my "includes". Interestingly, the framework did not get added; apparently because it is a system framework.
> I then tried adding it explicitly with the "frameworks" option of py2app; still not included.

py2app doesn't add stuff in /System because it can't be redistributed
(those are Apple-provided bits).

> I had an old 32bit build of Tcl/Tk frameworks in /Library, that one got added without issues.

> I also tried moving the /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl,Tk to /Library/Frameworks; that also worked without a hitch.

Yes, that should work.

> Can I ask you where you got your Tcl/Tk?
> And more to the point, do you really need it, since it's been part of /System since 10.4?

I built it myself, and I do need my own build because I want 64-bit. The
version in /System is ancient (c. 2005)  and doesn't support 64-bit.
sr/bin/strip: the __LINKEDIT segment does not cover the end of the file
(can't be processed) in:
(for architecture x86_64)
> The solution for me is to wipe the "dist" directory and start fresh. ("build" is not an issue.)
> Would you mind trying that, just in case?

That didn't work, unfortunately.

I've tried the maxheader trick before in the past, and it hasn't worked,
but I don't feel like recompiling Tcl/Tk this time. Too much work when
bundlebuilder is an easier, functioning solution.

In the meantime, you might want to ping Ronald Oussoren with your
patches--I'm sure that others will find them useful.

Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin