[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 3 18:18:36 CET 2009

On 3 Feb, 2009, at 17:54, Bill Janssen wrote:

>> I'm seriously wondering if having "Python Launcher.app" is a good
>> idea, and if we shouldn't scrap it entirely. If building full app
>> bundles using py2app is too much of a burden we could look into
>> providing an easier and more lightweight way to build such bundles.
>> The fully standalone bundles that py2app creates are very useful, but
>> I definitely see the need for very thin .app bundles as well.
>
> Interesting idea.  What's the lightest thing that's an app, anyway?

AFAIK an executable + Info.plist + icon file (plus the right directory
structure). The executable can be shell-script on Leopard, but a
simple executable would IMHO be better.  One way to structure such an
executable is to read the name of the actual script to execute from
the Info.plist (using a custom key) and then use the standard Python C-
API to execute that script.

Ronald