[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Wed Feb 4 09:56:48 CET 2009

Am 2009-02-04 um 01:05 schrieb Christopher Barker:

>> Hm, what do you mean? Should there be a standalone py2app script
>> anywhere?
>
> nope.
>
>> I know only "python setup.py py2app",
>
> right, so you add the -A:
>
> python setup.py py2app -A
>
> > and therefore I'd need to write a
>> setup.py
>
> which is trivial for the simple case, and you can use the py2applet
> script to build it for you.
>
> $ py2applet
>
> usage: py2applet --make-setup [options...] script.py [data files...]
>   or: py2applet [options...] script.py [data files...]
>   or: py2applet --help
>

> but yes, if you just want to run a really quickie little GUI script,
> you want to just run it! Which is why we all want that to still work.
>
> The alias option works great for a small-to-huge GUI app under
> development, though -- once you've built the applet, you can just
> keep using it as you change your code, and it give you drag and drop
> and all that.

Thank you for the clarification.

It's only that I use a folder full of small tools, partly with GUI,
most of them access the same packages, and I don't like to mess this
up with lots of setup.py or more subfolders.

I package only those few tools that my colleagues can use standalone
(I keep those on a server share, so I can easily update them for all
and nobody must fill their diskspace with redundant code of bloated
python apps).

No need to argue...

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban