[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 4 21:38:55 CET 2009

On 4 Feb, 2009, at 18:50, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> LSUIElement=1 completely surpresses the dock icon and menu bar for an
>> application, although you can get those back by calling an API. This
>> would be a support nightmare for python.app, any (OSX) newby that
>> runs
>> a Tkinter script from a tutorial ends up with a non-functional
>> application.
>
> Whether we need to also upgrade the tutorials strikes me as a minor
> matter.

You'd have to modify every tutorial out there, including books. That's
not
really feaseable.

The right ways to fix the issue you're running into with appscript are

1) Wrap your script into an .app bundle that includes the LSUIElement
setting (because appeartly you are writing an application that is an
agent-style application)

2) Research why appscript causes the icon to appear on the dock. As
has noted it should be possible to avoid that because the
ScriptingBridge framework doesn't have this problem.

The second option would be the most useful for the community, but is
way harder than the first option.

Ronald