[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app - After building for distribution, No module named PyObjCTools

Jacob imagine512 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 08:32:55 CET 2009

Hi guys,
I'm have a little trouble with py2app when building an app for distribution.
 I'll give an example using one of the py2app/pyobjc2 examples,
ICSharingWatcher.  I setup Python 2.5.4 using MacPorts 1.7.0, along with the
following packages:

py25-bdist_mpkg @0.4.3_0 (active)
py25-macholib-devel @1.2_0 (active)
py25-modulegraph-devel @0.7.2_0 (active)
py25-py2app-devel @0.4.2_1 (active)
py25-pyobjc2 @2.0_1 (active)
py25-pyobjc2-cocoa @2.0_1 (active)
py25-setuptools @0.6c9_0 (active)
py25-zlib @2.5.4_0 (active)
python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx (active)
python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9 (active)
  * Some other modules were removed for brevity.

With the MacPorts version selected, in the ICSharingWatcher example, if I
execute "python setup.py py2app", I get the following error message:

  pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pyobjc

If I modify "setup.py" and change "install_requires=["pyobjc"]," to
"install_requires=["pyobjc-core"]," or just comment out the line, then I can
successfully build the example.  However, on startup it complains
"ImportError: No module named PyObjCTools".

I can clean up the build and dist directories, execute "python setup.py
py2app -A" with this modified setup.py and the example runs just fine.  I
can run MacPort's python and import PyObjCTools without a problem.  So, it
seems that I'm just not telling py2app how to correctly include PyObjCTools.

Any ideas why the "pyobjc" package cannot be found?  I'm running 10.5.6 and
have XCode 3.1.2 installed.

Thanks,
Jacob

For reference, the setup.py in the example looks like:

from setuptools import setup

setup(
    data_files=['MainMenu.nib'],
    app=['ICSharingWatcher.py'],