[Pythonmac-SIG] resetting up-arrow

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Feb 16 09:56:02 CET 2009

In article <98E5A8BD-D90D-4ACB-91BE-2D623C312FBC at avatar.com.au>,
 DavidW <vip at avatar.com.au> wrote:

> In MacPython 2.5 (standard pkg install) I've lost the up-arrow
> function/scrollback function to '^[[A'
>
> Elegant as is is, it's not very friendly!
>
> I'm pretty sure it used to work.
> If I load macPython 2.4 (or vim or whatever) from the same shell, it
> behaves itself, so I'm guessing it's not a $TERM issue.
>
> My question is, (apart from how do I make it behave as a  'back'
> button) what have I inadvertently done to cause it to happen.
> Some weird collection of keystrokes?

I'm not sure I understand the problem you mean but it's possible it has
to do with which of the two line-completion libraries the python you are
using is linked with: gnu readline or bsd editline.  Generally, recent
python.org pythons are linked with the former while Apple's built-in
python has the latter.  Unfortunately, the two have different syntax.
See for instance:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general/606317>

--
 Ned Deily,