[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit mode no work

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 20:56:49 CET 2009

In article <DEF20F43-12BB-4397-9214-8C6A292AF37E at raeder.dk>,
 Lars Clausen <lars at raeder.dk> wrote:
> I've been trying to get mod_python and mysql to work on my Intel
> MacBook Leopard, but with very little luck. [...]

What about the MySQL library itself, i.e. libmysqlclient?  Do you have a
64-bit version of it?  The standard distribution from MySQL is not
4-way, (and, for 5.1.30 at least, it's broken for 2-way:
<http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=41940>).

> Any ideas also why there is no 64-bit installation of Python for Mac?
> Given the presence of fat binaries, it seems like it would be a
> trivial task to have it.

The support for 4-way universal builds in python is relatively new.
There has been some discussion recently on the python-dev list about
providing "official" 4-way installers for OS X.  This will probably get
discussed more at the upcoming PyCon.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org