[Pythonmac-SIG] Uninstalling Python 2.6?

Idan Gazit idan at pixane.net
Mon Feb 23 16:04:53 CET 2009

Hi Folks,

So a while back I tried installing (mac) python 2.6 on my leopard
machine, mainly to poke around.

Today I'm trying out some xcode/pyobjc stuff and I've been tearing my
hair out wondering why nothing works as advertised. Turns out that
xcode was building against python 2.6, which doesn't have the relevant
modules in its classpath (objc, for example).

A little bit of digging later and it seems that the *only* version of
python listed in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework is 2.6. Oh noes!

So my plea:

* How do I cleanly remove the 2.6 (installed using the provided
installer) installation such that I'm left with my leopard-vanilla 2.5?
* What should I do about the Python.framework? I imagine that PyObjC
apps require at least one version there. Did 2.6 overwrite the
existing one? Can anybody tell me how to get it back or how to install
the 2.5 version?

My head is spinning from all the googling I have done on the subject.
I'm hoping that a few well-placed words of wisdom will help me here!

Yours in much confusion,

Idan