[Pythonmac-SIG] Uninstalling Python 2.6?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Feb 23 23:28:30 CET 2009

In article
<dabdc63f0902230804w56b76207xe59c2dc9cad7b2fa at mail.gmail.com>,
 Orestis Markou <orestis at orestis.gr> wrote:
> I'm not on my Mac right now, but I think that the system python is
> actually in /System/Library rather than in /Library. If that's the
> case, I think you can just remove /Library/Frameworks/Python and
> update /usr/bin/python to point to vanilla Python.

/usr/bin/python normally always points to the Apple-supplied python in
/System/Library; it's not a good idea to modify it.

> I would try renaming /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and see if
> this fixes your issues - if yes, you can then safely delete it.
>
> I personally use MacPorts, that installs itself in /opt/local and only
> fiddles with PATH, to avoid this kind of problem.

The python.org pythons install to
/Library/Frameworks/Python.frameworks/Versions/x.x and to
/Applications/Python x.x, neither of which are Apple-controlled
locations.  The framework is totally self-contained unless you select to
have the installer add symlinks to /usr/local/bin and, again, those are
not Apple-controlled.  So you can safely delete the versioned framework
directory and/or application directory or just alter your PATH to avoid
them.   In *that* respect, there is no advantage to using MacPorts over
python.org pythons.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org