[Pythonmac-SIG] How to get setuptools to build a Universal Binary?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 7 22:08:23 CET 2009

Joe Strout wrote:
> That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do.  (libmysqlclient is the
> library behind MySQLdb, as far as I can tell.)

libmysql is the library that PySQLdb depends on -- it is provided by
MySQL -- it is NOT built by distutils -- it is only linked to.

> you seem to
> think that libmysqlclient is something other than MySQLdb.  I'm under
> the impression that it's the same thing.

nope -- I'm right -- libmysqlclient is just what you'd think __ it's the
library for mysql clients -- provide by MySQL. I just confirmed this my
downloading the installer from MySQL, and looking in and seeing what there:

$ file libmysqlclient.16.0.0.dylib

libmysqlclient.16.0.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

(I've got a PPC machine)

It looks like there is a static lib there, too.

So this is what I'd do:

get the dmg installer for both PPC and Intel for 10.4 from MySQL.

copy the intallers to your hard drive, and unpack Contents/Archive.pax.gz

poke around in there, and you'll find the dynlibs.

lipo the intel and ppc ones together, and presto!

Actually, I suppose what I'd do is install the native one on your build
machine properly, and then use lipo to add the other one to the copy
that's on that machine.

 > It's fairly ridiculous, and I'm now to the
> point where I have to seriously consider whether it's worth continuing
> this project in Python, or spend a day or two rewriting it in REALbasic.

or use a different DB...

> I feel like I'm close, though --

I think so too.

> if I can just figure out how to make a
> P.S. While people have been very generous with their free help and
> advice, if anyone could be more motivated to spend a few hours on it as
> a paid consulting gig, I'd be happy to pay.

I'm not in a position to do that now -- but you can buy me a beer if we
ever cross paths!

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov