[Pythonmac-SIG] How to get setuptools to build a Universal Binary?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Thu Jan 8 05:15:11 CET 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:

>> MySQLdb folder containing a bunch of other .pyc files.  Nothing else
>> though; just Python bytecode.  Is it possible that MySQLdb is written
>> entirely in Python, and was never the problem at all?
>
> no -- there is C code that needs to be compiled, I"m pretty sure anyway!

You are correct; I found _mysql.so in the
Resources/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload folder.  It's a universal binary.

>> /Users/jstrout/Downloads/mysql-5.1.30-osx10.4-universal/lib/libmysqlclient_r.16.dylib:
>> Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
>>
>> So it turns out that the 10.4 Universal mysql isn't.  (Or at least,
>> this particular library isn't -- perhaps there's another library in
>> here somewhere with a different name, that serves the same function
>> for PPC?)
>
> could be -- I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that libmysqlclient
> may be used only for custom clients, so it may have gotten built
> non-universal and no one has noticed. What do the other libs in there
> look like?

I'm going to come back to this via another post -- sounds like Ned has
found that the 5.1 distribution of MySQL really is a bit messed up, but
the 5.0 one is OK.  So maybe if I just do this over with the 5.0 distro,
it will work.

Best,
- Joe