[Pythonmac-SIG] How to get setuptools to build a Universal Binary?

Joe Strout joe at inspiringapps.com
Wed Jan 7 19:52:04 CET 2009

I'm (still) trying to make a neatly packaged Python app that works on
both PPC and Intel Macs.  All is good except for mysqldb; following the
procedure I've documented at
<http://www.dotancohen.com/howto/python-app-mac.html>, my app bundle
contains an Intel-only binary of the mysqldb library
(libmysqlclient_r.16.dylib).

This page
(http://developer.apple.com/opensource/buildingopensourceuniversal.html)
at Apple suggests a possible solution: build separate Intel and PPC
binaries, and then combine them with lipo.  But of course that's using
Makefiles.  MySQLdb instead uses setuptools.

So: does anyone have a clue how I can convince setuptools to build a PPC
binary (or better yet, a Universal one) on an Intel machine?

This may or may not also be involved:
   <http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue19>

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
- Joe

--
Joe Strout