[Pythonmac-SIG] Warning: The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely.

Nehemiah Dacres vivacarlie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:26:20 CET 2009

python version please and where might I find this code?
fork(3) is the unix system call that copies the program and one becomes a
child process and another a parent (which is supposed to wait on the child).
The child process normally calls a function from the exec(2) family soon
afterward. Leopard is probably being anal because until exec, that is 2
programms with the same amount of address size and Core Foundation may not
be able to handel that. The error

> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
> functionality safely. You MUST exec().

uses the word 'this', which implies it gave you the CoreFoundation API call
that triggered the warning.

> Is there some Mac-safe way to start the ds9 command-line application
> from my python module? I don't really know what it means to "run an
> exec*() function after a fork" and didn't think I was forking anything
> anyway -- I'm trying to start an independent process. I fear that the
> fork may be in ds9 itself and that there's nothing I can do, but I hope
> I'm wrong.

It is evident that the program is handeling something in a Mac OS Classic
way that should be handled in a BSD way. That could be either Python's fault
or the progammer.

--

"lalalalala! it's not broken because I can use it"

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=194281&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=15927703