[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript rocket-in-dock preventing logout

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Jan 31 19:03:36 CET 2009

Bill Janssen wrote:

> We discussed this a bit last year, but with no resolution that I
> remember.  I've got a situation where a Python program is preventing
> logout/shutdown.  It's a script that just runs in an endless loop
> watching what app I'm working with; when it sees one it knows
> (Preview,
> MS Word, Safari, etc.) it uses appscript to ask the app what document
> I'm looking at.  It then squirrels that document away in a journal so
> that I've got a record of what I've been working with.
>
> The basic control loop is something like this:
>
>   while True:
>      ... see what's running, and possibly what document ...
>      time.sleep(1.0)

See:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2008-December/020792.html

Two options described there: replace your 'while True' loop with a
Carbon/Cocoa event loop, allowing a GUI-based process to handle
incoming events, or prevent the OS from automatically upgrading your
python process to a GUI process (which it only does if it knows the
executable is located in an application bundle, e.g. Python.app/
Contents/MacOS/python).

Regards,

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net