[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript rocket-in-dock preventing logout

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Jan 31 22:36:21 CET 2009

In article <55150.1233433123 at parc.com>, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com>
wrote:
> has <hengist.podd at virgin.net> wrote:
> > ...or prevent the OS from automatically upgrading your
> > python process to a GUI process (which it only does if it knows the
> > executable is located in an application bundle, e.g. Python.app/
> > Contents/MacOS/python).
> I'm not running Python.app -- I'm running /usr/bin/python, which if I
> follow the symlinks leads me to
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python2.5,
> which in turn "file" shows to be a dual-architecture executable, which
> in my case is "Mach-O executable i386".  So I don't see how this rule
> about automatic upgrading really applies -- I'm not using Python.app.

Actually, you probably are.  This can be a bit confusing unless you
carefully trace through the steps in the Mac/Makefile.in, as I have been
doing recently.

Note that the binary at <FW>/bin/python2.5 is *not* the actual python
interpreter binary.  Rather it is the so-called pythonw binary whose
only function is to execv to the real python binary which is located at

<FW>/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python

and that is inside an app bundle.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org