[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython v2.5 on OS 10.5 yet?

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:16:18 CEST 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 7:13 PM, DavidW wrote:

> On http://www.python.org/download/mac/  we read
>> Python comes pre-installed on Mac OS X, but due to Apple's release
>> cycle, it's often one or even two years old. The overwhelming
>> recommendation of the "MacPython" community is to upgrade your
>> Python by downloading and installing a newer version from the
>> Python standard release page.
>>
>> If you are using Mac OS X 10.5, see the Leopard wiki page for
>> detailed information.
>>
> The Leopard wiki page (http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/
> Leopard) says
>
>> Python releases have progressed far enough that it may be worth
>> installing the current MacPythondistribution, however there may be
>> conflicts between MacPython installations and Mac OS X development
>> tools, such as problems building PyObjC applications in Xcode. Mac
>> OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) comes with the 2.5.1 Python distribution pre-
>> installed, with an integrated Python Launcher.app. At the time of
>> Leopard's launch, the official release version of Python was also
>> 2.5.1. So some users may wish to avoid installing the pythonmac.org
>> distribution and use the built-in python.
> (EditText (last edited 2009-04-28)
>
> Is this still current? Have the issues been resolved to the point of
> being able to unconditionally recommend say v2.5 or 2.5 on OX10.5?

I remember that Google App Engine had troubles with default python on
osx. Also there was probably a reason for python versions 2.5.2, 2.5.3
and 2.5.4 be released (and you could look on the changelog). I would
say that if none of the bugs that were fixed on python 2.5.1 onward
affect you, you have no need to upgrade.

Maybe someone has a better answer than mine...

What I don't understand is why apple doesn't update the python package
on new minor releases... they do ship some new libraries why not python?

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com