[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem in EasyDialogs???[Sec=Unclassified]

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Jul 31 03:01:45 CEST 2009

In article <1248999001.3965.0.camel at mjoakes-desktop>,
 mathew oakes <mathew.oakes at aad.gov.au> wrote:
> on Leopard 10.5.6 using python2.6.2 from macports
>
> When asking for multiple select in file dialog, get an error:
>
> raise Nav.error, arg
> TypeError: exceptions must be classes or instances, not str
>
> I can find the exception declared in this file:
> /opt/local/Library/Framewords/Python.Framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-
> dynload/Nav.so
>
> So this is preventing me from finding out what my actual error is, but I
> notice that the same exception is used elsewhere.
>
> files = EasyDialogs.AskFileForOpen( message='Select files to recover:',
> multiple=True )

It appears that EasyDialogs is still using string exceptions which have
been deprecated for some time and finally removed in Python 2.6.
Unfortunately, EasyDialogs itself, along with a number of other obsolete
Mac modules from the Classic Mac OS ( <= 9) era, have been marked as
deprecated in 2.6 and removed in Python 3 so there will be little
incentive to fix it, though you're welcome to open an issue on the
python bug tracker.  If you can, it would be best to migrate away from
use of EasyDialogs now.  Short of that, you may have better luck with
using it from Python 2.5.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org